Following this guide, we will go through the installation process of the Atlas VPN application on Windows devices. This app is an easy way to secure your internet traffic and bypass various geo-restrictions on your Windows device.
Note: the Atlas VPN application is only available on Windows 10 or newer. Older versions of Windows are not supported.
Contents of the guide:
Downloading and installing Atlas VPN
1. To begin your journey with Atlas VPN, head to this page and click on Download free. This button will start to download the Windows installation package.
2. Once the download is complete, locate the installation package in your Downloads folder and double-click on it.
3. Installing Atlas VPN is automatic, and once it's done the application will launch. Once logged in, a free version of the application will be displayed to you, which offers a limited selection of servers.
Logging in and connecting
1. You can log into your account by launching the application and pressing on 'Already have an account? Sign In' where you will see the area to enter your email.
2. Upon entering your email address and clicking the Sign in button, you will receive a verification email with a blue button that you would have to click to complete the Sign-in process.
3. As soon as you click on the button, you will be redirected to a new page asking you to allow the Atlas VPN application to open. By checking the Allow box and clicking Okay on the app, you are automatically logged into your account.
4. You will then be redirected back to the Settings page where you can see your User ID and some information about your subscription if you purchased a premium plan. At the bottom of the application, you'll find the Atlas VPN settings.
By logging into an account with a premium subscription, you will gain access to all the server locations we offer. To buy a premium subscription, click here.
The registration process is the same as logging in if you do not have an account.
5. There are two ways to connect to a VPN server. The first is to click the Quick Connect button. A suitable server will be selected based on a few criteria, such as the distance to the server and the server load, and you will automatically be connected. Alternatively, you can click on a specific country in the list of servers, and the application will connect you to a server within that area.
6. After you select a server based on your needs/Quick Connect feature, you will be connected to a VPN server and the connection status in your application will be changed to protected. The server you have connected to will be shown at the top in the Current Connection.
7. To disconnect from a server, you will need to click the Quick Connect button once more.
App settings overview
In the Settings tab, Security menu, you will be able to locate a few toggleable options - Start on launch, Auto-connect, Kill Switch and Allow Push Notifications.
Moving to the Protocols section, you would be greeted with our protocols. At this moment we have two of them: WireGuard and IPSec/IKEv2. If you prefer, you can choose Auto, which will pick the fastest and most secure protocol for your network.
Continuing in the settings, you would be welcomed with the App settings section. In there you will find Analytics, Close to tray, and Version number, which will know if you are up to date!
Here is a quick rundown of the options:
Start on launch - once enabled, the Atlas VPN application will automatically start as soon as you turn on your Windows device.
Auto-connect - if this feature is enabled, your Atlas VPN application will be automatically connected to the last location you have been connected to in your previous session, once your application is launched.
Killswitch - this feature will disable the internet connection on your device if the VPN connection is unexpectedly interrupted. This ensures that no unsecured browsing can occur until the connection to a VPN server is restored.
Allow Push Notifications - will inform you regarding your connectivity status as well as other information relevant to you.
Analytics - gathers basic information about the app for our developers such as errors and crash reports. No information is gathered outside the application following our strict no-logs policy.
Protocols - there you can choose from different connection protocols, depending on your needs. WireGuard connection protocol will provide you with incredible speeds, whereas the IKEv2 protocol encrypts your data with the highest level of security.
On the left-hand side of the application, you will also be able to find the Assistant tab, where you can enable the Tracker Blocker and Data Breach Monitor.
Tracker Blocker - provides an extra layer of privacy while surfing the web. It prevents data brokers from using third-party trackers to gather insights about your online activities, which data brokers then sell to companies and advertisers.
Data Breach Monitor - a security feature designed to track any data breaches related to your online accounts. It automatically scans leaked databases and informs you of any past or recent breaches where your personal information was exposed.