In case you have a device that is not compatible with a VPN connection and does not support any VPN protocols, you can share the VPN connection over Wi-Fi using a Windows device. In this guide, you will find the steps on how to enable a mobile hotspot from your PC and share the protection with other devices.
Before configuring the mobile hotspot, let's set up the connection on the Atlas VPN application.
Firstly, switch the connection protocol to the IKEv2. To do so, open the Atlas VPN app, click on Settings, go to the Protocols tab and choose IPSec/IKEv2.
Once you select the protocol, connect the Atlas VPN app to your desired location. There are two ways to connect to a VPN server:
- Click the Quick Connect button. You will automatically be connected to a suitable server, that will be selected based on a few criteria, such as the distance to the server and the server load.
- Alternatively, you can click on a specific country in the list of servers, and the application will connect you to a server within that area.
To enable the hotspot and share a VPN connection, please follow the steps below:
- Go to the Mobile hotspot settings. You can do that by typing Mobile hotspot in the Windows Search. Alternatively, you can press the Windows + I keys at the same time, select Network & Internet and click on Mobile hotspot.
- Enable the hotspot connection by toggling the Hotspot switch On. Here you will also find the information needed to connect later:
Network name will be displayed in the list of WiFi connections while trying to connect to the hotspot on different devices.
Network password - enter this password while connecting to the hotspot.
Optional: you can change the Network name and password by clicking the Edit button. We recommend using a strong password for better network security.
- After enabling the hotspot, open your computer Settings once again, and click on the Network and Internet option.
- Scroll down untill you see the Advanced network settings section. Click on Change adapter options.
- Right-click on the Atlas VPN IKEv2 adapter and select Properties.
Note: The VPN connection must be established before performing this step.
- In the connection properties menu go to the Sharing tab and tick the box to Allow other network users to connect. Then, in the Home networking connection field, choose the mobile hotspot adapter that has appeared in the Network Connections menu after you enabled the mobile hotspot. Click OK to save the settings.
- You should now detect the created network with your phone or any other device. Try connecting to it.
Note: If you can not find the network, or can not connect due to the password being incorrect, go back to the Mobile hotspot settings and double-check or edit the network name or password.
To check if the connection was established successfully, visit https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ on the device that is connected to the hotspot. If you do not see any information resembling your IP address, you have connected successfully!